Old Deer – St Drostan’s Church
St Drostan’s is named after a follower of Columba who established a monastery in the 6th century in the vicinity of the village of Old Deer. ‘The Book of Deer’, a manuscript containing portions of the Gospels and possibly the earliest surviving examples of Gaelic writing in Scotland, is thought to have been written here.
St Drostan’s catchment area has potential for growth, taking in several other villages within a three mile radius, the largest being Mintlaw, a population of 2,500. The church was built in 1851 and contains fine stained glass windows. In 2008 modernisation took place, making the church wheelchair friendly.
- First Sunday of the Month: 9:30am – Holy Communion
- Second Sunday of the Month: 11:00am – Mattins
- Third Sunday of the Month: 9:30am – Holy Communion
- Fourth Sunday of the Month: 11:00am – Family Service
- Fifth Sunday of the Month: Joint service with St John’s Church, Longside as advertised locally